SEARCH


May 28, 2020

Leading to Arguments

Published on in |



Leading to arguments. My visual impairment sometimes drives me nuts...


That's how I even had a few little arguments with my mother. She is over 80 years old and suffers from an MD herself. So we are basically in the same boat. Only our vision is affected in a slightly different way. 



Each and every time we go for a walk, window shopping or to the supermarket where, for example, I just want to rush somewhere and collect information or things into the shopping cart, I had to remind her again that we shall either meet at a specific point or she has to wait at "exactly" the same spot where I left her. More often than not, she wasn't where I expected her. And when I harshly told her "you did it again – you moved!", she only answered "Oh, I just went to see that-and-that over there. What's your problem?" … 

 

In addition, I tried to make her understand to wear strong colors when we go out together. This is especially important when she is wearing "neutral colors". All colors seem increasingly "faded" for me. That is, I see them rather grayish (or the "blend" with the environmental colors and all colors that are not something like a strong red, purple, blue, or green look grayish. 

Meanwhile, my mother has understood that I cannot recognize her further down the street, in corridors and among other people at when she is more than a few feet away. 

But I think she still can find me – "mother instinct" or better vision?



------------------------------------------

About this text

Jutta's Story texts were originally written in 2016-2017.
Since
end of 2018 I am officially legally blind..
And I am proud to be a member of the Malta Society of the Blind.