SEARCH


May 28, 2020

The "How about glasses?" Question

Published on in |

"How about glasses?" 


Everyone asks this question. Well, even here the answer is not quite simple. Even though there are many varieties of spectacles, the right glasses for me have yet to be invented. 
Remember, there is no cure for this kind of eye disease. 

One of my ophthalmologists said it clearly: "No matter which pair of glasses you'll be wearing, you will never be able to see clearly. 

This is due to the fact that central vision deteriorates and whatever you focus at is more "blurred" or "gone" (which often makes me "look around the corner" to see something a bit better.

But still, together with ophthalmologists and opticians, who have been (and still are) anxious to bring some contrast and sharpness into the "gray" again and again, we have tried all kind of adjustments. By now, they are running out of options. I had new glasses every few months - and they were "kind of good" for a few weeks only…
And apart from that, people are very surprised when you have your spectacles on your nose and you still have to say that you cannot see this or that. They probably think: "That can't be true" - or "Get yourself proper glasses".
Maybe it should be mentioned that my glasses would have had a power of -0.5 dpt for far distance, which is very little, and my reading glasses have 2.5 dpt, which is quite normal for presbyopia at my age.
Sometimes I just say: "With glasses, I only see better what I do NOT see". 
In other words, a little improvement in peripheral view makes me realize even more, what I don't see in the center….

 And once people roughly understood this, they come up with the next question: "Why not change your computer setup or become an interpreter?"

[Here I have to add, that I was working as a freelance translator for the last more than 30 years.]


------------------------------------------

About this text

Jutta's Story texts were originally written in 2016-2017.
Since
end of 2018 I am officially legally blind..
And I am proud to be a member of the Malta Society of the Blind.